Friday, February 23, 2007

Fed up of waiting

I'm having a real "get the baby out now!" day. My feet and ankles have gradually been getting more swollen over the last week, and now my legs feel like lead weights all the time, even at night, and elevation doesn't really seem to help much at all. My blood pressure is still normal, so the midwife says there's nothing to worry about, but it's darned uncomfortable/painful. And my legs feel like they are attached to my pelvis via big metal pins. OUCH. Add to that my pretty-much-constant headache, back ache and feeling a bit nauseous, and I'm feeling very sorry for myself indeed. All of this leads to not very much sleep, and disrupting Karen with my (slow-motion) tossing/turning and accompanying grumbling/swearing.
I've got a reflexology appointment at lunchtime, so hopefully that may help somewhat. And I'm drinking water like it's going out of fashion, to try and flux any excess salts/toxins out of my system. Must remember to consult my homeopathic book again to see if I've got anything that could help.

The good news from the last couple of days is that Pip has now properly turned around to the anterior position, with his/her spine lying down my tummy, which bodes well. He/she had a very quiet day on Wednesday, so much so that I suddenly realised at lunchtime that I couldn't remember the last time that I had consciously felt Pip move (as opposed to being conscious of the bulk of the bump). Needless to say, I got myself in a complete panic, thinking that Pip was dead and I'd have to give birth to a stillborn baby (I know that it's not at all likely, but having known someone whose baby did die at 38wks in utero, it's always been my biggest pregnancy fear). I tried to keep the panic under control, and was jiggling the bump around/poking at the baby to try and make it wake up. It was a good 10 minutes at least before I felt some movement though, and even then not much at all compared to normal. But at least I knew that Pip was still alive. I went down to our midwives' clinic for some reassurance, and they were great; we listened to the heartbeat and they didn't make me feel stupid at all for panicking; they said it was far better to come in, just in case there was something to worry about. It wasn't until the folllowing morning that I realised that Pip's new position was probably part of the reason for the much-reduced feeling of movements, but s/he was also clearly just not very active that day, as I felt a lot more movements again yesterday. So reassuring!

Our antenatal group (8 women) met up for coffee yesterday, with the first of the babies in attendance (3 wks old now; he arrived 2 wks early). He was so sweet and sleepy; not at all bothered about being passed around us all. The rest of us are still waiting, and the due dates are falling by the wayside now. We all feel more than ready for our babies to get here, but in the meantime, we're arranging a cinema visit for one afternoon early next week to pass the time, which should be fun.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lil Jimmi said...

Yay for baby in the anterior position!! This last part is hard, but just hang in there :-)

3:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These last days are hard, but you're nearly there! Good luck with the reflexology - I had two sessions the week after the due date. It made the baby wiggle around a lot.

4:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home