Saturday, February 17, 2007

Feeling........ different.

I think that Pip may be making an appearance sooner than I'd been anticipating (but in line with Karen's expectations!). There's been a big shift in both mental attitude and physical feelings today. Somehow, it just feels like I'm ready now, and that labour isn't all that far off. It's a very strange feeling, but calming. Or of course, it could still be 2-3 weeks away and I may just be sleep-deprived and running a bit high on adrenaline!

I woke up at 5.15am (so I'd had about 5 hrs sleep, with one bathroom visit around 3am). Couldn't get back to sleep - nothing new there - so I got up around 5.45am. Came downstairs, and started doing some paperwork that I've been putting off (all to do with my name change following the civil partnership - there are so many organisations to inform!). Karen got up just after 8am, and after breakfast I decided to tackle the filing cabinet; a job I've been meaning to get around to for months. I spent nearly 3 hrs going through all the files, shredding old/irrelevant documents, re-organising categories, and pulling out stuff relating to all the organisations I need to contact regarding my new surname. I filled an enormous bag with shredded paperwork - very satisfying! I then moved on to sorting out some boxes of stuff that have been hanging around forever; things that needed to be found a new home when my study became Pip's room. I've been feeling a real compulsion to sort, organise and tidy stuff away today. It certainly feels like nesting - even if they were all tasks I've been planning for a while. However, it was only when I started looking at our antique brass door handles and thinking about polishing them that I started to wonder if it was all down to that infamous nesting instinct (although I didn't actually polish them!). But I did turn out the laundry cupboard and clear out the accumulated dust and fibres. And after I'd had a long soak in the bath, listening to my hypno CD, I then did a load of washing, made up the spare bed ready for my mother's arrival (she'll come down whenever I go into labour), and then emptied and re-packed my hospital bag, to see what might be missing/needs to be added at the last minute. So I'm certainly ready mentally (and with a tidy house to boot).

As for physically, there have been quite a few differences there too. For one thing, the bump just feels bigger, tighter and heavier. It sounds a bit stupid to say this, but it simply feels like there isn't possibly any more room in there; my skin feels stretched tight like a drum, and the bump is really firm. Pip has been really active today; lots of big movements and protruding limbs/bum etc. Much more going on than normal. I still don't feel as if I've experienced the lightening of engagement, but who knows? I think that Pip may be lying down my left side, but it's hard to tell (and it's been changing throughout the day). I've also been experiencing lots of twinges in my pelvic joints, which I haven't really had to much extent before. I have been much thirstier than normal too; I've drunk litres of water today!

So, it's now just a case of "wait and see". I can't really settle to anything much right now, and besides, my back has been really sore all day, so I think that I may go and listen to my hypno CD again, sitting in the new rocker-glider, and then have an earlyish night. It will be very interesting to see if these instincts are right or wrong.
I'll post again if there are any dramatic changes, but if not, we've got our 38wk midwife visit in the morning, so we'll see what she has to say about Pip's position/degree of engagement etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home